Studies show incorporating CBD oil for joint pain can provide relief in place of or in addition to medications and an anti-inflammatory diet.
Most of my clients with chronic joint pain have tried every type of supplement and diet change to feel better. These clients can tell you the long list of supplements and medications they’ve tried that didn’t work, but many of them report cannabidiol (CBD) oil as beneficial in reducing their overall pain. So, if you haven’t given CBD oil a try for your joint pain, here’s what you need to know.
What is CBD oil?
CBD oil is extracted from the Cannabis Sativa plant. Unlike other cannabinoids — such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — CBD does not produce a euphoric “high” because it does not affect the same receptors as THC (7). There are a lot of CBD oil products on the market, and the amount of CBD in them varies widely.
As many people use cannabis recreationally, there is controversy surrounding the medical use of products that contain ingredients from the Cannabis Sativa plant. Cannabis is sometimes referred to as “hemp” depending on its level of THC. Hemp must contain less than 0.3% of THC and be legalized under the Farm Bill.
Research on CBD for Joint Pain
Some studies in animals suggest that Cannabidiol oil (CBD) could help treat joint pain and arthritis. For example:
- A 2017 study found that CBD might be a safe and useful treatment option for joint pain associated with osteoarthritis. (1)
- A 2016 study found that the topical application of CBD had the potential to relieve pain and inflammation associated with arthritis. (2)
- A 2014 review of the existing body of research on animals concluded that CBD may be an effective treatment for osteoarthritis. (3)
- A 2011 study found that CBD helped reduce inflammatory pain in rats by affecting the way that pain receptors respond to stimuli. (4)
- A 2006 study (5) found that a cannabis-based mouth spray called Sativex helped relieve rheumatoid arthritis pain. However, the cannabis plant extracts that the company uses to make the spray contain both CBD and THC, which may imply that THC is necessary to experience a benefit- and THC is not legal in all states.
All this being said, more research is necessary to confirm that CBD oil is an effective treatment for arthritis and chronic joint pain.
Side Effects of Using CBD for Joint Pain
While clinical trials of a CBD medication approved by the FDA did not find any indications of physical dependence (8) and researchers of small-scale studies say that most people generally tolerate CBD oil well, some people may experience mild side effects, including:
- changes in appetite
- changes in weight
- CBD oil may interfere with the liver’s ability to break down toxins. Talk to your doctor if you have liver health concerns. (if your medications interact with grapefruit, they probably interact with CBD) (6)
- CBD oil may interact with certain over-the-counter dietary supplements, aids, and prescribed medications. Talk to your doctor before taking CBD.
- There may be possible interactions with grapefruit and CBD oil (9).
How Do I Use CBD Oil for Joint Pain?
CBD comes in many different forms – each with a specific approach to joint pain relief. They can be taken orally as a capsule or tincture, or applied to the skin in the form of balm or salve.
CBD Tincture for Joint Pain
CBD tinctures can be absorbed directly into the bloodstream by adding the tincture drops to your favorite beverage or placing the liquid under your tongue and holding it there before swallowing. The effects may be felt in as little as 15 minutes.
CBD Capsules for Joint Pain
Softgel capsules offer a convenient and consistent dose that can be taken daily and carried mess-free when you’re on the go – no worrying about leaky bottles or exact dosages.
CBD Balm for Joint Pain
Topical products, like CBD balm, are applied to the skin over the area of pain for targeted joint pain relief. Since CBD balms and lotions do not reach the bloodstream, they are best for localized pain relief instead of overall pain.
How do I Find Quality CBD Oil Products for Joint Pain?
It’s important to do some research to find quality products since CBD products are not regulated the same way as other drugs. There are several factors to consider when looking for high-quality CBD oil for your joint pain. To get started, look for:
- CBD oil that is grown organically and made in the United States
- Third-party testing with easy access to the batch testing process and results
- Optimal extraction processes
- A company who implements good manufacturing practices
Mayv proudly grows and makes its organic CBD products in Colorado with strict, medical-grade testing by a third party. We utilize CO2 extraction in order to retain purity throughout the process. Every order comes with a QR code to view your product’s lab results.
Always speak to your doctor before using CBD oil, and educate yourself on the local laws regarding CBD oil, as the use of cannabis products is not legal everywhere.